27 de maio de 2015

The one thing I can teach you ...

One afternoon, during a conversation with a good friend of mine, I remember telling him: "the one thing I can teach you is how to be more productive".

I learnt so many things from him, such as how to be more social, how to deal with people, how to deal with women, how not to be imprudent and when to keep quiet.

He taught me so many things, but he never told me "I will teach you this and that".

Of course, when I told him that I was going to teach him something I did not know that I couldn't do it that way.

Months after those words came out of my mouth, nothing had happened: I didn't teach him what I had promised. Even today, I still think about that promise I made.

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself", Galileo. 
Now, these words resonate in my mind, but somebody thought about this hundreds of years before I did.


♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

We are surrounded by people all day long.

People walk by our sides; at school and work, we are always surrounded by others; and even when we strive for some privacy - the internet only distracts us.

Being surrounded by that enviroment, sometimes leads us to compare ourselves with others.

Sometimes, it is healthy, other times it can be hazardous.

I have compared myself with well-known professors and asked myself "how can I become more like them?" (Example of a healthy comparison.)

Some other times I compared myself with people whom I thought were weaker than me and thought to myself, 'those poor guys' (hazardous comparison because I am not better than anybody).

During my undergraduate, as it happens with a lot of people, I tried to have a good academic record.
But, there were always colleagues who did better than me. And, at some point, I realized that I did not see those people suffering as much as I did in their pursuit for a great academic record.

I asked myself many times "What am I doing wrong?" 

At some point I wondered: "Why is it that other people are doing better than I am?"

How am I supposed to get astonishing grades if nobody taught me how to accomplish that?

It is true - as many people will point this out - you learn along the way. But, in my opinion, I knew somebody had to have passed through this situation before. Therefore, my quest was to learn from them; from their past.

So, it is important to know the path. Of course, you can make modifications and even improve the trajectory for your own case. And, more importantly, allow yourself to ask for help when you do not know something.

In a nutshell, "Learn form experts!".


♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Everyday the world asks more from us. To add up to the demands, there exists a strong competition (in some cases). And, to conclude, it is important to try to enjoy life as human beings and not pressure ourselves so much e.g. hang out with friends, spend time with family, etc.

For those reasons, the idea of learning to manage your time and do stuff that needs to get done will grant you enourmous advantages in life.

"The key to success is action", but at some point you will feel powerless to take action. What do you do at that point? 'You fake 'till you make it'!

Do not just put things into your head, make things come out of it by doing. That is the only way to learn something.


♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

In this post I put down some own comments about the Preface chapter of the book mentioned below.

Author: Brian Tracy
Type of book: Self development, time-management

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário